Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Flower girl duty!

Eh....wait a minute. Not me...it was Grace's duty as a flower girl in her youngest uncle's (小叔叔) wedding.

We were suppose to get her ready for this duty since we knew about it some where around early of 2008. However, we were all busy with our own daily stuff that we put it on hold until the very last moment. In fact to the very last day before the wedding. Or in fact the last few hours before the rehearsal.

I wanted her to have a proper flower basket to practice on, however the actual basket to be used, was not ready. Thus, it was kept on hold for so long. Finally on the Friday morning before the rehearsal, I used the "sample" favour basket that I made (also for Moh Herng's wedding), added a pipe-cleaner as the handle, and "ta-da" a beautiful (**blush blush**) flower basket. (hehe...in fact I thought it was nicer than the actual one...shh...not so loud please **grin) I used crumpled paper as the "flower" or rather confetti. Instructed Grace to walk at the corridor at home while throwing the paper. Ah huh....she could sort of do it.

When having rehearsal at church, she's quite co-operative and could complete the task with many reminders and motivation from everyone there. Luckily I brought my home made basket during the rehearsal as the actual basket was far too big for her. Ended up requesting for a smaller basket for her.

During night time, while I was putting Grace to sleep, I sweet talk her to remember the steps for tomorrow's duty. I told her "走三步,丢花” (pronounced as "zou san bu, diu hua" meaning "walk 3 steps, then throw the flower"). I keep on repeating myself, until it was so into her mind that she keep on repeating the phrase, even in her sleep. Well, that's all the preparation I could make.

The actual day came. I dressed her up in her normal clothing, for fear that she may mess up her flower girl suit. We decided not to put make-up for her. Natural is the best, plus I fear that she might get allergy from the make-ups. When it was time to go, hubby and I suddenly remembered something very important. And thank goodness we remembered, it helped later on. What was it? Read on.

When we reached the church, watching her cousins Isaac and Joy dressed up nicely (also for the page boy and flower girl duty), Grace was enthusiastic in performing her duty. We changed her about half hour before the wedding starts. However, her enthusiastism was not for long. Soon, she was clinging on to me. When her aunt (my sister) arrives, we sweet talk her again. It helped a little, but she was still clinging on to me. Until around 5 minutes to 11am, we were asked to get the page boys and flower girls ready. The flower girls had to put on their head gears. We persuaded Grace in putting it on and everyone there praised her as a form of motivation. She seems to accept the motivation. Seeing the girls and boys dressed up so nicely, few of our church sisters, came to take photo of them. Shifting them here and there to get nice shots. The process irritate Grace and she was clinging on to me again.

Moody at this time means bad news. Soon, the wedding was to start and I have a moody flower girl in my arms! What to do??? The thing that we remembered in the morning did the magic. Daddy (Grace's daddy, my hubby lar) offered her marshmallow! And it worked! Immediately she agreed to stand, off course a marshmallow in her mouth in return. Then she was about to start walking even it was not time yet. We have to offer her another one so that she don't get irritated. After which, she took another few before the event starts.

And she did it! She willingly walked down the aisle (she was the first in line). Throwing off confetti in her own cute ways. I was so very touched (in fact I have tears in my eyes). She's only 2 and could do this! Though, I have to walk to her side to urge her to walk on, as she tends to stop for too long (I guess, for the photo shooting). When finally she reached the front of the hall, stood there right beside the bride, she and Joy continue to throw out the confetti, in fact finishing all that was left in the basket. Making a pool of confetti.

Great job done!

Enjoy the photos. There's a video clip but I couldn't make it upright. Will try and see if I could post it later.