Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 15, 2010

It's all about winning

Many years ago, I heard of people talking about how their kids want to win in every situation. I once heard an aunt said that her 2 sons were competing about and the elder son exclaimed, "I'm First!" Upon hearing that, the younger son, shouted with pride, "I'm number Zero!", with the understanding that zero comes before number one, so number zero is better than first.

I wonder, if this happens in every child? I don't know about others, but I do know that this happens with my precious little daughter. Ever since she knows the meaning of "win", she wants to win in just about anything, or should I say, everything.

During Chinese New Year, we were having fun with the not-so-dangerous, "pop-pop" (a type of fire works where no fire is needed, all you need to do is throw it as hard as possible towards the floor). And so, we asked Grace to play scissors-paper-stone with everyone of us, and who ever wins the scissors-paper-stone session, will get to throw the "pop-pop" once. Initially, we let her win in all the scissors-paper-stone session. Then we decided to let's try make her lose. So, there we go, winning the s-p-s session and throwing the "pop-pop". She make not noise initially. After a few losing rounds, she was having the s-p-s with daddy and she lose quite a number of rounds. This time, she playfully hit her daddy, signalling to him, "that's enough of you winning, now my turn".

On another occasion, on Tuesday night, I was playing some cards with her. There's this scissors-paper-stone image on the cards and we were drawing cards randomly to see who wins. Well, when she wins, she cheers. And it so happens that for the next few rounds, it was her mummy who's having clean sweep, and this was what she exclaimed, "Cannot always you win. You never win, I WIN!"

Sigh....is winning so important?

1 comment:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Haha, wait till the second one is old enough then you're really going to have a problem. I don't recall the 4 of us fighting to win, do you?