Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Weaning off.......

As reluctant as I am, we (hubby and I) have decided to wean Grace. Yeap.....I'm still breastfeeding Grace till now. Off course her main food is solid food, but she still depends very much on breastfeeding when she's taking her nap in the afternoon and sleep at night. Guess the bonding and the security is there for her.

Well, all good thing has to come to an end. Though I know I will miss the time when she tuck close to my chest, sticking fingers into my belly button and all sort of funny actions she made while breastfeeding, it's time to put a full stop on this. Time to get her ready to be a little more independent.

It is not easy! It needs to go through lots of tears and fuss.

Last week, I already started the less breastfeeding program. At night, I let her feed for a while, then withdraw to let her settle down and doze off herself. It took some 30 minutes or more for her to calm down and try to sleep.

On Monday night, I told her 101 reasons why she needs to wean off. Like, she'd grown up now, can help mummy do lots of things, so no need to "nen nen"; grown ups like daddy and mummy never "nen nen"; mummy no more "nen nen" cause mummy's daughter already grow up, like poh poh no more "nen nen"; everyone needs to learn to fall asleep on their own; bla bla bla bla bla. Well, it worked! She seems to stop asking for "nen nen". We snuggled up with her in the bed, telling stories, singing lullaby, encouraging her to cuddle up in her blanket. She did follow, but this active little girl make lots and lots and lots of sounds, noises, songs and talk non-stop, until finally (which is like 30 to 45 minutes later) she fall asleep.

This has worked for two nights and as I was typing this (4pm), she had fallen asleep without "nen nen". Great! Keep it up!

Nevertheless, I'm a little heart broken when she asked for breastfeeding, and I had to turn her down. She will keep on asking with different and creative ways. Sometime, with cries and screams! Guess, for the long run, I have to bear with this for now. Help me God!

No comments: